Sunday 28 April 2019

Red Ropes and a Wet Patch

Dark Clouds and a Heron

Morning All

It's unusual for us to move far on a Sunday, we tend to moor up and have a day off from chugging, while I do the Jottings. Today we were up and off as soon as I'd had my second cup of coffee, after wasting a whole Saturday listening to Hurricane Hannah roaring down our chimney and rattling the hatches. She tried to sneak off with our coolie hat, but luckily it blew into the hedge and Carl retrieved it and chained it down.
Braunston flight of locks

I'll pick up from where I left off last week and start with our chug into Braunston on a glorious Easter Monday morning. We slipped into our favourite mooring spot by bridge 89, the one that looks across the fields towards the church. Carl had a shopping list of filters and fan belts and was itching to get to the chandlery while I was more interested in a set of new ropes. That last sentence looks a bit kinky so I'd better explain more. We have a pair of centre lines that came with the boat, they used to be lovely red ropes that looked really well against the grey and cream of the paintwork. Over the years they have faded and started to fray in places so I thought we should replace them to keep our 'Lady Aberlour' looking smart. There is a shop called 'Tradline Ropes and Fenders' in Braunston Marina - it's the Jimmy Choo of the rope world and is full of things that sound 'naughtycal' - Turks Heads, splicing kits and rope shackles as well as fenders and mooring lines. They made us a set of new red ropes and they will be the finishing touch once Carl has painted the roof. I'll be sure to take photos when its finished and post them to the blog
Admiral Nelson on the Braunston Locks
Our next stop was the chandlery at the bottom of the Braunston flight - Wharf House Narrowboats. The marvellous Diane was on duty when we arrived, she's an absolute fount of knowledge when it comes to fighting the demon rust that is every boaters worst enemy. We were sad to learn that the shop is closing this year - another victim of the internet price war. We have much appreciated the great customer service here and our visits to Braunston won't be the same without calling in to stock up. We took full advantage of their very generous closing down discount and bought oil and stern grease as well as paint and rust converter.
Horse Chestnut
We spent a very enjoyable evening in the 'Boat House' in Braunston, meeting up with my sister Jean and Eric the Viking (that will make him smile when he reads this, I haven't called him that for a while!). I got excited at the thought of a big glass of gin but when I read the 'Gin Menu' my enthusiasm waned. I couldn't really justify paying such silly money for a drink - one gin cocktail was about the same as half a mooring line so I settled for a tonic with my salmon and hardly noticed the difference. I tried to press gang Jean and Eric into helping us up the locks the next day but they had other plans, especially when I mentioned Braunston Tunnel - I don't blame them, I wouldn't go through it either, if there was a choice! Thanks for a terrific evening Jean and Eric - It was lovely to see you both, come back soon.
Evening reflections
On Tuesday, I left Carl rearranging his oil filters and caught the bus into Daventry for shopping. The bus route has changed since I last visited and I spent far too long trolling around various housing estates, being jolted and bounced over sleeping policeman and trying to keep my cornflakes down. Finally, I was deposited in the town and went immediately to Waitroses for free coffee and a browse amongst the posh pasta and organic avocados. I came out with a Lindt chocolate egg! It was 'going cheep' (embarrassed face emoji). I have nothing to say in my defence except it was very nice and I made it last a whole week(well 5 days – that's very nearly a week). I tottered off home, back through the sprawling housing estates of Daventry to Braunston where Carl and Tricky came up to the village to meet me. I was much relieved to hand over the Big Rucksack to Carl and we strolled back through the sheep field to where the Lady Aberlour was waiting for us, gleaming in the afternoon sun.
Gosling chicks
We flew up the Braunston flight on Wednesday morning - those 6 broad locks were taking boaters as long as five hours over the weekend but we were up to the top in just over an hour. Every lock was set for us and we paired up with another boat and swapped boating tales on the way up - they were returning to their marina at Welton and would be following us through the tunnel. As we approached the tunnel entrance, I switched on all the cabin lights and settled myself and Tricky on the floor by Carl's feet with the torch on standby, ready for the long, dark, damp trip. We always hope that we won't meet another boat in this tunnel, it is notoriously bendy and often catches the inexperienced hire boaters unawares. We have been clobbered hard several times in the tunnel and it's very traumatic for our little Tricky who sits by Carl's feet trembling if we hit anything. Of course, we did meet a boat and somehow, in spite of Carl slowing right down and hugging the tunnel wall to give the oncoming boat as much room as possible, there was a horrible crashing noise as they hit us, then hit the tunnel wall and we passed them by, calling out to check everyone was OK. We breathed a sigh of relief and were glad not to meet anything else and, as soon as we were out, Carl went below to make the coffee. He was gone a while and came back to break the bad news that the Big Kettle (5 litres!) had fallen off the stove and emptied its contents all over the brand new carpet. Botheration! And then it began to rain! More botheration! Wet carpets will soon dry if the sun shines but the weather remained stubbornly showery for the next 48 hours meaning that the carpet was in and out like a fiddlers elbow. It's all sorted now and we've come through Crick and Husbands Bosworth Tunnels without any incident but I'm always careful to secure the kettles now.
Cute boat but sorely in need of paint

That's all the news for this week, we're still heading towards Leicester and the dreaded dentist appointment. I think I can stretch it out for at least another two weeks.

Take Care everyone

Love from

The Floating Chandlers


PS Is anyone else watching 'The Repair Shop'? What a great programme.
Coffee time

Tricky  getting warm

Braunston flight

Blossom time

Cows in Yelvertoft


















No comments:

Post a Comment