Sunday 21 April 2019

A Dozen Ducklings and a Dunking Dog



A Dozen Ducklings 

Morning All

Was there ever an Easter Bank Holiday like this one? Glorious sunshine and hardly a breath of wind to stir the blossom. I'm writing this from my deckchair in the bows, which looks out over the water to an unbelievably green field, where little lambs are skipping in the sunshine. A dozen ducklings paddled by, and I rush for my camera to see if I can capture their cuteness for you to enjoy. I can hear the church bells ringing in Braunston village, forming a perfect counterpoint to the bleating of the lambs and the song of the larks in the clear blue sky. There is a constant procession of boats passing us by, hire boats with families aboard, shiny boats with their brasses polished and gaily painted Buckby Cans arranged neatly with a mop through the handles. A lopsided cruiser limps along with a young couple aboard, they're so heavily ladened with boxes and bags on the roof, that they can hardly see to steer. There was a group of girls wearing bunny ears, chugging along in a day boat. I was hoping to see an Easter Bunny - will that count? Later, we were almost rammed when a boat came round the corner and the first mate panicked and abandoned the tiller. Luckily for us, her partner came running up from below, grabbed the tiller and went hard astern before any damage was done.
Ducklings again

All the good mooring spots have been taken along this popular stretch of canal and we had to elbow our way into this spot when we arrived yesterday afternoon. There was a bit of huffing and puffing and a reluctance to hutch up to let us in, but eventually, when he saw our bows where coming in regardless, he released his ropes and moved up. I wouldn't dream of hogging two spaces, especially when it's this busy but apparently, not everyone feels the same way. He was even more annoyed with us when his mooring chain fell into the water. Captain Carl is not one to bear a grudge and he was quickly out on the towpath with his "Sea Searcher' magnet and after a bit of dunking, retrieved the brand new mooring chain from the water - he does love to get that magnet out.
Lovely old working boat out for a chug

The weather wasn't quite so fair when we set out last Monday morning. It was a bit blowy and the skies were grey and dull as we left our overnight mooring at Congerstone and chugged along by the moorings in Shackerstone and through the Snarestone tunnel. The sun came out as we moored up, so I hung my just washed towels on a stick, then fixed it in the hedge. I wouldn't normally do that but the end of the Ashby Canal is a little oasis with hardly anyone around so I don't think anyone minded. There were a couple of Volunteers manning the Ashby Canal Club bric-a-brac shop and I was soon in there having a browse and a chat to the nice couple in charge. Carl found a tape player to add to his collection and I tried hard not to pull a grapefruit face when I saw what he'd bought. We walked along to the end of the reclaimed section of canal, the bit that is now in water, and then along the dry bed of the old canal towards Measham – we're hoping to be able to take the boat there one day. We chatted to a couple we met along the way – they were going to water their 'Evergreen Oak' which they had planted by the bridge. (I had to Google that one – its known as an Holm Oak and looks a little like a holly.) He told us he had been living on boats since 1958 and I suspect he had some gypsy in his blood as he had long black hair, tied into a ponytail and a very large gold hoop in one ear. It wasn't long before he told us proudly, he was 78 and I found myself checking his hairline to see if I could spot any signs of grey growing through. He swore he didn't dye it! Yes, I am very cheeky and I did ask him. He was passionate about the Ashby Canal and had recently rescued, restored and donated, 2 pumping beams from the nearby Snarestone Pumping Station to create a lasting memorial on the wharf. A very interesting man, I hope we meet him again some day.
Pumping Station Beams at Snarestone Wharf

So, what's new this week? I strained my back by just standing at the sink and turning too quickly to dry my hands - I wouldn't have believed it was possible if it hadn't happened to me. It took several days of Ibruprofen and hot water bottles (yes Mum – I was listening to your good advice!) before I could move without groaning. I only knew I was cured when Tricky fell into the canal on one of our early morning walks and I had to fling myself down on the bank to haul her out. I thought she was trotting along behind me, I looked around to make sure she was keeping up and saw she was rolling ecstatically, probably in something stinky. As I watched she rolled over and plopped straight into the water. I couldn't help but laugh, thank goodness it happened on the first hot day so she soon dried out as we chugged along under the hot sun. The 'Dunking Dog' yoga position seems to have cured my back!
Poor Tricky got a soaking

This week we shall be moving around towards Crick and then onwards to Market Harborough. The top pound from Crick to Foxton is one of our favourites as it meanders along through the most beautiful countryside, but I'm not expecting that this glorious weather will accompany us that far. I might have been a little premature in putting away my winter woollies and breaking out the short sleeves as the forecast is for a return to the usual rain, hail, sun and sleet that is England in April.
Sheep in the shade
I have to end this week with a 'Get Well' wish to our friend Pat on the Naga Queen. She had a fall and broke her wrist and needs surgery to gather all the pieces back together. That's bad news when you're out on the boat in the middle of nowhere. I am totally in awe of a woman who can steer a boat down the Hatton flight (21 locks) with her arm in plaster!
Peaceful Mooring
I hope you've all enjoyed your Easter Break and had a sufficiency of chocolate eggs? I'm feeling deprived as I had to make do with a Marks and Sparks teacake. (Sad face emoji)

That's all for now – more next week

The Floating Chandlers


PS Carl treated me to a fish supper when we moored in Market Bosworth – he knows how to spoil me – how could we resist calling in at the aptly named 'Batter of Bosworth'!

PPS The swallows are back, now it really does feel like summer.
Work Boats at Hillmorton

Wow - a lovely summerhouse

Sunsetting over Willoughby

It was a beautiful day

Too many sheep this week? 

1 comment:

  1. We just went past you, I’ll walk back later and see if you are home.

    Lisa

    NB What a Lark

    ReplyDelete