Monday 31 May 2021

Piscinis and Aumbreys

Wrenbury

Hello again,

Sorry to pester you with yet more ramblings but it’s been a busy week and Carl couldn’t fit it all in.

Anyone In?

I was looking through my photos and found that I had captured a blue tit, just popping into the stone wall by the first lock on the Audlem flight. I watched the crevice for signs of activity as I waited for the lock to fill, both parents were nipping to and fro with beaks full of tasty tidbits for the little ones.  I snapped a quick photo with my IPhone and was quite pleased with the result. We have both been busy taking photos this week, the change in the weather has brought out the hawthorn in all its splendour and the green fields are iced with cow parsley and sprinkled with buttercups, quite a sight in the glorious sunshine.

Buttercup Meadow

It’s been a mixed bag of weathers this week and what joy it was to finally hang up the waterproofs and fleece jackets and break out the sun cream, At Last!! We made some early morning starts in order to avoid the worst of the wet weather but I wasn't convinced that the sun was going to shine, even though it was forecast. In fact, I was so sceptical that, when we reached Audlem, I went to The Mill (Gift Shop and Assorted Boating Paraphernalia) and purchased a ‘Brolly Mate’. This gadget screws to the tiller and holds an umbrella over the steerer. Of course, as soon as I bought it, the sun came out and the rain cleared off back to Spain or wherever it came from!

Lift Bridge looming through the early morning mist

We moored early at the bottom of Adderley locks and watched as the late risers set off in the pouring rain, while we were tucked up with a nice fire going, eating hot buttered toast and drinking gallons of tea. The rain lashed down for a couple of hours before the clouds raced away across the fields and left us with a water-logged towpath and muddy mats in the cratch - Tricky would go out in it, even though I told her it was raining cats and dogs! We watched the sunset later and the sky lit up pink and orange, impossible colours which refused to be captured digitally.

Colours fading.

The Audlem flight was extremely busy and we were second in a group of four boats all queueing to go down the flight. Lock etiquette was working quite well and the boats Do-Si-Do’d as they crossed in the pound, one going up, the other going down. There was a small hitch in the smooth operation when we met the Chamberlain Carrying Co on their way to Market Drayton for the ‘Floating Market’. I chatted to Ruth, who was working the motor-boat Mountbatten, while Richard, her husband, was one lock below, bow-hauling the butty Jellicoe, single handed. I’m afraid I turned into a gongoozler and watched in awe as he fought the terrific run-off by the mouth of the lock and hauled the butty into the lock using a long line and brute strength. I took photos, but I didn’t manage to capture the raw energy of the scene. I hope to meet them again on their return journey up the Llangollen, which is their home patch and maybe catch them in action again, working their boats in the old fashioned way, bringing coal and diesel to boaters and keeping the working traditions alive.

Ruth Chamberlain on the Audlem Locks 

We spent a couple of days in Nantwich and walked into town with Tricky on the first morning, taking in the sights of the historic Welsh Row on the way. We sat outside the church and listened to a very talented young woman singing ‘Pie Jesus’ in the Market Square, then the smell of coffee drew us to a table in the dog friendly 'Nantwich Bookshop and Coffee Lounge'. I do love to people-watch and the man at the next table drew my attention as he was eating the most enormous breakfast and talking loudly on his phone, which was set on loudspeaker. Everyone, including me, listened avidly, as he rang his car dealer and ordered a Bentley Continental 6.75 litre and quoted an enormous sum of money for the budget. I slid my eyes sideways, under my (as yet) uncut fringe, to check him out, but he looked disappointingly ordinary. Carl says I’m nosey but hands up anyone who thinks they wouldn’t have been interested in that conversation!
Fabulous Old Building in Nantwich

Tricky was grumpy and refused to make the trip into town again the next day, so we went off without her and visited the beautiful church of St Mary’s. I do wonder at the descriptive language that is unique to church buildings. The Lady Chapel contains a piscina (sink), an aumbrey (cupboard) and a ‘host oven’ where the communion wafers were baked. The pews are furnished with kneelers, each one loving hand stitched and a beautifully crafted 'Jubilee Curtain' hangs over the glass porch. After the turbulence of the past year it was balm to sit for a while in the peace and tranquility of this beautiful old church. After a couple of hours of browsing and shopping in the town, we returned to the boat with new mats for the narrow corridor by the bed, two rucksacks full of shopping and a huge blister hanging off my big toe. I threw the offending sandals back in the ‘aumbrey’ in disgust and went to wash my aching feet in the ‘piscina’.

Hand Stitched Kneelers in St Mary's Church, Nantwich

The Llangollen Canal is as beautiful as ever. but there are hordes of boats making the pilgrimage to the Pontycysyllte Aqueduct. I met a solo boater, recently widowed, making his first trip alone, I hope we meet him again and more importantly, I hope boating brings him happiness. A boat came up behind us and I chatted to the wife, who told me she was born by the canal and only felt truly happy when she was afloat. A cheerful hire boat with 3 couples on board came along and, unusually, it was the ladies who were doing the steering and the men lock-wheeling. They were hoping to do the Four Counties ring in 6 days - not my idea of boating fun but I think they’ll do it - whatever floats your boat (groaning face emoji) Everyone is smiling now that the sun is out and finally, I remember why I love the Merry Month of May!

Goodbye till next week

I’ll be back next week to share the delights of Whitchurch, Ellesmere and the Montgomery Canal with you and to relive the joys of the many lift bridges along the way. I hope you’ve all enjoyed the Bank Holiday and I look forward to hearing from you, if you’ve got a minute.

Love from
The Floating Chandlers

PS We met a Hen Party in Wrenbury, more sedate than some we've seen.  I only mention it as two of the party were wearing Sumo suits – I bet they were nice and sweaty inside that get-up on such a hot day!


PPS   Williams of Audlem (Est. 1862) is a shop with much heritage and a really enjoyed the sparkling wit and repartee that Judith has with her customers.  I lingered to enjoy a chat with Judith about the famous till which has appeared on 'The Repair Shop'  - love that programme. Here's a photo from their shop page 
The Till is ringing again in Williams of Audlem












No comments:

Post a Comment