Sunday 29 September 2019

Breasted Pair and Buttys

LA Looking Good

Morning All

It's a very wet Sunday here on the Grand Union and we are moored by the Buckby Lock shop in company with a working coal delivery boat called Southern Star. We came up the locks together and it was a pleasure to meet Ryan, boatman extraordinaire, who delivers coal under the flag of Jules Fuels. We met the southern team last week, working a pair of boats delivering coal, gas and fuel to boats between Stoke Bruerne and the outskirts of London. We followed them over The Iron Trunk at Cosgrove and I walked ahead to take photos of them squeezing their breasted-up pair over the aqueduct. It has a dizzying drop over one side, it's not as high or as long as the Pontcysyllte but still takes your breath away as you look over the side. We overtook them as they stopped to serve customers, heaving bags of coal and bottles of gas across from one rocking boat to another. We waved and smiled to the hard working couple who make their living working these beautiful old boats. They passed us again the next morning, clad in waterproofs and sou'westers, the motor boat towing the butty through the pouring rain. Carl and I returned to our late breakfast in front of a nice warm stove and we didn't set out till hours later, when the rain had cleared. No timetables or schedule for us, except to be sure to get to the services before the water tank runs out. We thought we might make it to Leighton Buzzard this week but an unexpected invitation arrived for a get together in Weedon and so we turned at Great Linford and started back the way we had come.
Ryan on Southern Star

On Monday morning, I was leaning out of the hatch, looking at the sky to see if the predicted heavy rain was on its way. The sky was blue with fluffy white clouds - no sign of rain. I was just going to ask Carl what time he wanted to set out when a boat came by and I called out to ask the steerer if he wanted company down the locks. I'm not sure that Carl was ready for me to come thundering down the boat with the news that we were setting off RIGHT NOW. He might still have been eating his breakfast, but I'm afraid I had the bit between my teeth and I jumped straight into my boots, grabbed my windlass and headed off in hot pursuit of our new partners. Oh joy! Two couples sharing a boat which meant 2 experienced, muscly men with windlasses, while their lady wives (wo)manned the tiller. I was expecting to fly down the Stoke Bruerne flight and be moored up by dinner time. I should have know better than to plan so far ahead. At the third lock we came up behind another pair, going down the locks ahead of us and that is when the day ground to a halt. One couple were new hirers and were taking advice from the other pair, who had just picked up their first boat and were taking it back to their marina. I did my best to help them by shutting my mouth firmly and not giving them unwanted advice - I've found that most people would rather get their rope wrapped round their prop than be warned about the possibility by someone who forgot to comb their hair that morning! In order to be helpful, I raced ahead and set the locks for them so they could go straight in without having to moor up between locks. Leaving them to descend the locks at their own speed, I puffed back up the hill, closed the gates and started refilling the lock for our pair. Once they're in the lock then I'm off back down the tow-path to start the process all over again. I well remember how terrified I was the first time we did a lock on our hire boat and how everyone we met was so helpful and kind to us, so it was nice to see them smiling a bit more as they got the hang of things. Meanwhile, I felt like I had run a marathon and my arms ached from winding so many paddles. Carl had to make the cheese sandwiches while I dived under a hot shower to recover. I'm starting to think I might have to surrender the windlass to Carl more often. He would like to swap jobs sometimes but I think that once I give up the windlass then there will be no hope for my waistline!
Black Betty or Rama Lama Ding Dong?
The change in weather has made a nice change, we have spent cosy evenings listening to the rain drumming on the roof and although the days have been showery, we have mostly been lucky and had sunshine as we chugged along through the outskirts of Milton Keynes and back. Our overnight moorings have been rural and quiet and our trip back up the locks to Stoke Bruerne was a doddle as we shared with a hire boat who had lots of enthusiastic helpers keen to get us up the flight in time for lunch. Blisworth tunnel was all ours and we moored up on the horse field at Gayton just as the clouds rolled in and we shut up shop against the wind and rain that came bowling over the hill.
Raindrops on New Paint
Next morning was overcast and the wind was gusting hard as we set off for Weedon - not our favourite boating conditions. Tricky and I walked ahead, stopping every now and then to pick my breakfast from the luscious crop of blackberries along here. I waited under Banbury Lane bridge, with Tricky under one arm and two nice bits of wood under the other, while Carl battled to get the boat in close enough to pick us up. There was an ominous rattling noise just at the crucial moment and Carl had to knock the engine out of gear. We'd got something on the prop! That's not the best way to start the day, up to your armpit in murky canal water, cutting bailing twine off the prop. We swapped places and I took the tiller while Carl went below for a wash and a warm and came back with two mugs of coffee and a penguin each. We beat the rain to get to Weedon in plenty of time to meet our friends at the Narrow Boat and a very merry evening was had by all.(Chinking glasses Emoji)
Lots of Laughter

I've rambled on too long as usual and I do hope you're not yawning into your coffee. Next week it will be October and the organised folk will start feeding their Christmas Cake! Sorry - did I scare you with the Christmas Word?

Love from

The Floating Chandlers

PS Called in at the Royal Ordnance Depot in Weedon yesterday. What a gem. The history of the place is fascinating and we found a great second hand book shop, art gallery and curio shop in addition to a small visitors centre. Worth a visit if you're passing that way.
Weedon Royal Ordnance Depot

PPS We saw Kingfishers almost every day this week, very reassuring after a year with hardly a sighting.
Loved this little chap on look out

Crossing the Iron Trunk
The Depot at Weedon
Graffiti or Art? 

Sunshine and Showers at Stoke Bruerne



No comments:

Post a Comment