Sunday 23 June 2019

Tea with Shirley and Homer's Big Fish

Audlem Flight

Hello my friends 

The Summer Solstice has passed and we've finally been able to enjoy some summery weather as we float along. If you wondered where I'd got to last week, then I apologise for leaving you in the lurch but when it rains every day, there's really not much of interest to write about. This week we have travelled from Norbury, through Market Drayton and Nantwich and turned up the Middlewich Arm and tied up for the day just below Cholmondeston Lock - it's pronounced Chumston I think - I do love the way the English language is so unexpected!


Last week we moored the boat at Norbury for a few days and my daughter came and picked us up in her VW Beetle. I was reacquainted once more with the very low slung suspension and it was a test of my motherly instincts to keep quiet as we bumped and bounced along the narrow flooded lanes. Claire seemed totally un-phased as I clung onto the grab handle and whimpered a little as she swished the passenger wing mirror through the wet cow parsley- she's an excellent driver but I'm an exceedingly poor passenger.
Evening Views

This week has been a completely different kettle of fish. The sun shone down on the Lady Aberlour and her crew have been exceedingly happy about that. The covers have been rolled up and the hatches and doors flung wide to catch the breeze. The raincoats and boots have finally dried out and been put away, replaced by sun hats and sandals at last. We are travelling in convoy with the Naga Queen this week and there has been much frivolity of an evening with our friends Pat and Malc. Pat and I have been testing out a Gin, Grapefruit and Black Pepper Liqueur which has scored very highly on the Gin'o'Meter while Carl and Malc stick to the odd glass of Merlot. Altogether a very pleasant way to spend an evening
Naga Queen on the Shroppie
.
The Shropshire Union from Norbury to Nantwich is probably the most photographed of all the canals - there are deep cuttings, spanned by high bridges and lined with trees that filter the light and dapple the water with shafts of sunshine. The rolling Shropshire pastures are lush and verdant after all the rain, making an emerald green backdrop for the ever changing skies. Pretty cottages are dotted along the watersides and the farmers have rented out their water side fields for boaters who are waiting for the day when they can cast off and be free. We slow down to tickover as we pass these long lines of moored boats - Carl is checking out their paintwork and I'm watching the swans teaching their cygnets to beg from the side hatches. The swallows are dipping and diving around the boat, flying fast and buzzing past us as we enter their air space.
Swift reflections
As we chug along towards Goldstone Wharf, we see a boat push off towards us, just as we reach the bridge. It seems that he wants to turn his 70' boat in the winding hole there and wants an audience.(Tongue in Cheek Emoji) Carl and I watch anxiously as he hits a fence and slots himself neatly into a private slip mooring - luckily the boat that normally moors there is out. He carries on posting himself into the narrow opening without seeming to realise what's happening. There's nothing to be done except creep by and leave him to work it out for himself, he has learnt lesson number one in the boaters rule book. 'When things go wrong, there will always be an audience'
Swan family
There's been a bit of locking this week - Tyrley and Adderley are short flights and I managed them without breaking into anything more than a ladylike glow. Then we reached the Audlem flight and the forecast was for heavy showers! There are 15 narrow locks down through Audlem and I was dripping by the time I got through the first two - the rain was back! We moored up by the Shroppie Fly, just before lock number 13, and brewed up. Pat and Malc passed us and waved to let us know they would carry on and moor at the bottom by the aqueduct - they looked fresh as daisies and I wonder what they put on their Shredded Wheat in the morning to give them so much energy. I trotted off into Audlem looking for strawberries and a chemist and in Boots I bumped into a lovely lady called Shirley. 'I'm looking for something to make me look younger' she quipped and we were immediately best friends. We passed the waiting time sharing a potted life history and giggling together like teenagers. She even invited me to call in for tea at her home just across the way. I walked back to the boat smiling and feeling warm inside - some people just have the knack of making you feel happy. I wish there were more people like Shirley in this world.
Wooden Horse-Nantwich Embankment
 The moorings at Nantwich were very busy, but we managed to find a place by the aqueduct and counted ourselves very lucky as boat after boat came by looking to moor. The Naga Queen was far away from us, through the next bridge and past the wooden horse ( there are lots of wood carvings along the tow-path here) We met up with them at Nantwich Marina where Pat and I visited the Craft Shop and Carl and Malc popped into the Chandlery. If you get the chance to visit this lovely town then you won't be disappointed. The beautiful architecture and independent shops, the indoor market and the tempting eateries (love the Ginger and Pickles Cafe) are reminiscent of bygone times. A visit to the famous Clewlow Butchers is a must for us and after that, we joined the other pensioners sitting around the market place, listening to the brass band playing. A 10 year old busker was playing his guitar in the main street. I stopped to listen and admired his courage, I doubt I'd be brave enough to busk with my ukulele!

That's all for this week, I hope the sun shines where you are and if you get a minute, I'd love to hear how you are.

Love from

The Floating Chandlers


ps I watched a fisherman fighting to land a huge fish on Friday, I clicked away with my camera and helped him weigh it in at 17lbs. Wow! Well done Mr Homer.
Wow Big Fish
 pps Many thanks to Dave at the Grooming Parlour in Nantwich Marina. A very lovely man and he made a great job of clipping Tricky. She's glaring at me now and keeps running away to live with Pat and Malc. How ungrateful!


View from the aqueduct at Audlem


Shropshire Bridges

Tree Man at Market Drayton - i can never resist taking his picture

Market Drayton bridge


Mooring at Market Drayton


Adderley Mooring

Setting off in the sunshine
Coffee Time Nantwich Marina

Pat and Malc

Nantwich Mooring

Nantwich Cottage


2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely Loo loo. Love the wooden horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do a blog too Tweety, you photos are stunning xx

      Delete