Sunday 18 March 2018

Ten Togs and Doggy Bags



Branston Mooring in the snow
The winter has flown by for us, but the novelty of a flush toilet and unlimited electricity can't keep us away from our floating home so here we are, back on board the Lady Aberlour, for more watery wanderings. So far we've only managed to get to Branston, a distance of maybe 5 miles and three locks from our home mooring and we're trapped on this stretch of the Trent and Mersey waiting for the flood water to recede. The river crossing at Wychnor is flowing too fast for boats to cross safely to get to Alrewas and now the strong winds have arrived bringing a few inches of snow and bitterly cold temperatures. Luckily, we're snug and warm in the boat, but it's a not the weather we expected when we set off from home last Tuesday.
I'd better start from the beginning - the transfer from our winter quarters to the boat has not gone quite as smoothly as we would have liked this year. You'd think after all this time, we'd have it down to a fine art, wouldn't you! We sprang out of bed on Monday morning and began the process of clearing the fridge/freezer and doing the last minute jobs. As the hallway filled up with bags and boxes, we looked out at the rain and reluctantly decided to postpone our departure for a day, hoping for drier weather. Getting our piles of stuff from the car to the boat in the pouring rain is not the best way to set off, it can lead to grumpiness and cross words.
We were all smiles on Tuesday morning as we trundled through Grantham, everything fitted easily into our new car, the sun was shining and we'd had an extra day to make sure we didn't leave any essentials behind. Of course, we do always forget something - one year it was the boat keys and this year it was my Ipod - the one that I have been loading with my favourite tunes all winter – very annoying!
Kettles singing on the stove

The first thing I couldn't find when we arrived was the duvet for our bed – slightly more important than the Ipod! We searched for a little while before I remembered that I threw it out when we left the boat in October. I meant to buy a new one but forgot all about it and so we spent the first night sharing a thin single quilt and the furry blanket. Needless to say, it was a high priority to get a new one when we got to Burton and I'm now luxuriating under 10.5 togs of sheer bliss.
We spent Wednesday unpacking, running the car back to Mums and getting in some supplies for the onward journey (I forgot the tea bags!) The boat was a bit dusty and cold after her long winter sleep, but the engine struck up first go and Carl was happy with the state of the batteries, which were fully charged, thanks to the solar panels. We were soon shipshape and stocked up with supplies ready for the first part of our journey to Market Harborough. It's a shame that we can't actually go anywhere. Ah well, we're not in a hurry, those Alrewas sausages will just have to wait.
'Shall we go into Burton?' I asked Carl on Thursday morning. The Captain puts on a scruffy looking waterproof coat and I frown and say 'Hhhmmm' which is how I let him know that what he's wearing isn't suitable for the occasion. His best green Craghopper coat is still hanging on the coat hook in the hall at home along with his second best waterproof and his 'wood chopping' coat. 'Never mind' I say 'There's an Army and Navy store in Burton - we'll get you a new one'. I never had Carl down as a khaki camouflage man but it's just the thing for this cold weather. Tricky needed a coat too as her recent trip to the grooming parlour was a little premature,. Her short back and sides was perhaps a little too severe in view of the arctic temperatures that have prevailed ever since. She has a smart black padded jacket which makes everyone who sees her go 'aaaaaaah' – she is very cute
Tricky looking cute

On Friday afternoon, the sun came out and it was almost warm as we chugged along from Burton to Branston. It's been a while since the last time we moored here and we do like the Water Park mooring although the geese can be a bit noisy - it's the perfect place to spend a few days while the weather does its worst. Saturday wasn't too bad, although it was bitterly cold, the real snow didn't arrive until after dark. All day the howling gale was rocking us and little flurries of snow would puff into the cratch, forced through the gaps around the cover. We donned our thermals and ventured out into Branston village for a change of scenery and found that there was a brand new Co-Op, an Indian Restaurant, Birds Bakery and a charity shop - what a find! I was in that Co-op before you could say 'Fresh Baked Bread' and had half a dozen fresh eggs and a brown loaf for Carl's Sunday breakfast in my handy fold up shopper. Is anyone else as obsessive about not buying a carrier bag? My rucksack is festooned with those little fold up bags, they're in my handbag, my coat pocket, the car is full of 'bags for life' and yet, I do often get caught without one. If I have to buy a carrier bag, I feel like a complete Eco failure. We wandered up to Banardo's and I went in leaving Carl and Tricky in the freezing cold 'You can bring the little doggie in' said the lady behind the counter 'but husbands have to stay outside' she added. The local folk around here are very friendly and the shop assistants actually smile when they serve you. Next we popped into Birds Bakery because they had a mouth watering display of cream cakes (including the fondly remembered cream puff know as an Elephants Foot) and a hot counter serving bacon rolls, we shan't starve while we're waiting for the water levels to drop.

So here I am again, it's Sunday and I'm tapping away on the keyboard in a lovely warm cabin with Tricky snoring at my feet and the kettles are singing softly on the stove. I hope you're all warm and cosy in your various abodes? I'm hoping for a bit more boating and a bit less shopping this week – whatever happens, I'll be back again next week with another helping of Hedgerow Jottings.

Lots of Love and Hugs
The Floating Chandlers

PS I remembered my camera, forgot to take photos!

PPS We were stopped by the Dog Warden as we walked into Burton and asked to produce a 'doggie bag'. Thanks goodness I had one.

PPS I forgot to bring my comfy boots – the ones that are waterproof and are still in their place by the back door at home! Doh!
Choppy Water


No comments:

Post a Comment